Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Interview

Preview: My family friend john was diagnosed with sickle cell anemia as an infant. He is now 26 years old.

Q: What is it like living with Sickle Cell?

A: It's normal now, I used to get sick getting headaches, stomachaches, seizures and strokes to the point I couldn't go work for weeks but now I exercise a lot and eat very healthy so my life is a little bit better.

Q: What was your Childhood like?

A: My childhood was difficult for both my parents and I. My parents couldn't go anywhere because they had to take care of me. I frequently got seizures and didn't have that many friends. School was very hard for me, I would always miss it and It was really hard for me to pay attention. They put me in remedial classes yet I actually was smart it was just I couldn't.

Q: Are there any organizations you are part of?

A: I am in the Sickle Cell Association of Sickle Disease, Inc. SCDAA, HHSCAA, and I even started my own local organizations in Cary North Carolina.

Q: Did any of your parents have sickle cell anemia

A: Non of my parents had sickle cell anemia but my mom had the trait.

Q: Why do you think it's so common for black people to have Sickle Cell?

A: I really don't know, I just think it's the environment.

Q: What restrictions do you have with sickle cell anemia?

A: I can't be stressed go out drink and all that. I have to exercise , and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment